Who finds it difficult to get ideas to write a story sometimes? I know I do!
But I have found some ways to help me when I’m stuck. Here is one way.
It sometimes helps to have a picture to get my brain going in a creative way. Now what on earth do I mean by THAT?!
Well let’s see..
If I was to use this picture… How would I go about writing a story using this picture to get an idea?
I would begin by asking some open-ended questions to myself while looking at the picture, like: –
- What’s going on in the picture?
- Who is in the picture? Who could they be? Are they friends? Are they enemies that have been brought together to solve a mystery?
- What do you think they are they doing? (It doesn’t have to be ‘real’ – you can make it up)
- Where do you think this is it happening?
- ‘When’ do you think this is happening?
- What could these children be looking at?
- Does it remind you of anything that has happened to you or someone you know? Make connections.
- If this was you and your friends… what do you think you would be doing?
Is an idea beginning to grow in your head? Yes? GREAT!!!
Not yet? Try this….
Next, I would think of some really good words to help me plan my story. I would think of words that helped me use some – if not all – of my 5 SENSES. I would try and think of words that DESCRIBE what’s going on in the photo.
These are some words that I might think of. Can you think of more?
It looked: – mysterious scary
It felt: – stuffy hot cold
It smelled: – moldy smelly dusty
We could hear: – barking miaowing growling scratching
It tasted: – ?
Let’s check….. is there the beginning of a story beginning in your head now?
In your writing journal, put the title IDEAS TREASURE CHEST. Then, quickly write down your idea before you forget it!
Now we get to practice this skill again.
Look at this picture and try to get an idea for a story, by doing all the things we just did.
What could this girl be thinking about?
Look at her clothes. Look at her skin. What do they tell you about her?
Now look at this picture – can you get a story idea from this picture?
To finish up, here is a summary of what might help get an idea for a story from a picture.
- Take a really good look at the picture
- Ask some good, open-ended questions
- Think of some good words to start you off – remember to think of words that have to do with your 5 Senses.
- Write your idea down in your IDEAS TREASURE CHEST, so you can use them at a later time.
- Did this help you?
- If you are a Visual learner, then this might help you. If you are another type of learner (like an Auditory learner, a Reading/words learner, or a Kinetic learner) there are other ways to get ideas. Go HERE to get back to the beginning and explore your learning style.
- The next step is to use your ideas to actually write a story using one of your ideas, by following the Writing Process (planning, drafting, conferencing, editing, publishing)