Do you remember what a verb is?
- a verb is an action word
- a verb is the name of an action
Can you name the four most common verb tenses?
- Past – has already happened
- Present – is happening now
- Future – has yet to happen
- Infinitive – has the word “to” in front of it, and does not tell you WHEN it is happening (e.g. to go, to eat, to jump, to sing, etc…)
What is the purpose of a verb tense? Why are verb tenses important?
Verbs can be REGULAR or IRREGULAR
REGULAR = There is a pattern you can follow
IRREGULAR = can have a pattern different to the usual pattern, or it behaves very differently to any patterns you can identify
25 Most Common Verbs
Like anything that is used the most, it gets banged about, and worn, and changes shape through use. It is the same with words. The more it is used, the more it changes. Can you think why?
Let’s see if we can say them out loud, and let’s try say their past tense. By doing this we will try to identify regular and irregular verbs.
Source: Oxford English Dictionary
Remember what we have talked about today. We will need this information for a task later this week on verb tenses.