A new story to write… yey!!!!
Normally you are given a story genre to explore and then we write story in that genre, and normally the story can be about anything (theme) you like. This time, we are going to work from the other end. I will give you the content (or theme), and you will choose the genre.
You can use any genre you like to write this story, as long as you follow the requirements for whichever one you choose (see the posters on the wall).
The theme for today is….. UNDERWATER CITY.
No doubt we’ve all heard of the legend of Atlantis, the ancient, once great city that was lost when the ocean submerged it.
To this day the legendary city has yet to be found (or proven to have ever existed) yet over the years many other underwater cities have been found, each of them as eerie as they are mind blowing. Click on each link below to learn about a real life underwater cities found at the bottom of the ocean.
Think about these questions: –
- ‘WHEN’ will you set your story (past, present)? This will influence what tense you write in
- WHERE is your story set? (Is the city a ruin of an ancient city, or is it a city underwater with magical beings in it?)
- WHO are your main characters? (Are you in it? Can the people breathe underwater?)
- USE your FIVE SENSES to describe what you see (What can you see/ hear/ feel/ smell/ taste?) Check out the video below to help you experience what you might see under the ocean waves.
- WHAT will your problem or conflict be? How will you resolve it?
- What happened? What’s the story behind these ruins? (Who lived there? What were their lives like?Why did it sink?)
- What vocabulary do you need for this story? Brainstorm some words and have them ready
E.g. sunken pirate ship, sea monster, gurgling, bubbles, floating, darting, graceful, mermaid, merman, trident, conch shell, turtle, dolphin, shark, cave, etc …
Ready to start?!!
remember – plan, draft, C3B4 me, edit *check for grammar and spelling), conference, refine, publish