This is how to debate in G3. The objective of the debate is to persuade the other side to your way of thinking in a polite and precise manner.
There are rules and a format to follow: –
- There is always a Debate Chairperson
- It is the role of the Chairperson to make sure the debate does not stray from the original topic, and to keep the debate going
- Everyone must observe the rules of politeness
- Raise your hand if you want to say something
- Speak clearly, and in a voice clearly heard by everybody
- Use the sentences we have learned as part of Group work and Discussions
If these rules are not observed the debate will not function.
- The topic is presented
- You will have a few minutes to think about the topic
- You have to choose between For or Against the proposed topic
- The Chairperson begins the debate with a question directly related to the topic
- Listen to whoever answers the question, because the debate will go on from the answer
- One person talks at a time – use your persuasive vocabulary
- At the end of the debate we take another look to see who is on which side of the debate (For, Against, See both sides)
Sometimes the debate is not resolved. Sometimes there is no clear debate ‘winner’.